Michael Drotman
(310) 991-0561
fax 310-376-6522

Homes Designed & Built By Michael Drotman

401 Monterey
Hermosa Beach
(3 Homes - Built In 1986)

651 & 653 4th St
Hermosa Beach
(2 Homes - Built In 1984)

The Palos Verdes Peninsula


History of the Palos Verdes Peninsula

During the era of California exploration by the Spaniards in the mid 1500's, the Palos Verdes Peninsula had been on the mind of Spanish explorer Juan Cabrillo.
Even though he wrote about this remarkable place in 1542, the Peninsula remained undisturbed by settlers for almost three hundred years. The Gabrielino Indians inhabited the land for centuries, and even today their artifacts are still being discovered and unearthed from the Peninsula.

After centuries of inhabitation of the Gabrielino Indians, Don Dolores Sepulveda received an original land grant in 1827 to Rancho de los Palos Verdes, which translates to "Ranch of The Green Trees". This land grant, which was approximately 32,000 acres, was awarded by the Governor of Mexico California. For over 35 years, Don Sepulveda transformed this land into a prosperous hacienda which supported thousands of heads of cattle.  After the course of 35 years the Sepulveda family ended up losing much of the land through various mortgage holders to Jotham Bixby of Rancho Los Cerritos. After the acquisition by Bixby, the land was transformed from a hacienda of grazing cattle to a farm for grains and vegetables. The land was leased to Japanese farmers and by 1913, most of it was owned by a group of New York investors.  The land became divided into large estates and one of the investors, Frank Vanderlip, became partnered with real estate promoter E.G. Lewis, who together began the land development process. Vanderlip, the founding father of the Peninsula, was responsible for the first homes appearing in 1924 and the gradual development of the Peninsula over the next fifty years.

Communities of the Peninsula

Palos Verdes Estates
Palos Verdes Estates, located on the western side of the Peninsula was incorporated in 1939. Approximately 13,700 residents reside in this city and enjoy remarkable views of the Pacific Ocean and Los Angeles basin. Palos Verdes Estates offers activities that range from recreation sports such as hiking and golf to shopping at the two local commercial areas. Also located within city limits are many churches and a library. The city's layout was designed by the Olmstead brothers, sons of Frederick Law Olmstead Sr., who designed New York City's Central Park.  In this layout, 849 acres were designated as permanent parkland, so many of the properties enjoy unobstructed views all around.

Rancho Palos Verdes
Like Palos Verdes Estates, Rancho Palos Verdes is a city that offers ocean and city views. Even though the approximate population of 42,000 residents makes this city the largest on the Peninsula, Rancho Palos Verdes remains a very desirable place to live. Along with being the most populated city, its incorporation in 1973 makes it the youngest one.  Within city limits are a number of shopping centers, including the Golden Cove Shopping Center and the large commercial strip along Western Avenue. Rancho Palos Verdes is also home to golf courses including the Ocean Trails and Los Verdes Golf Courses.  Located on the Peninsula's southwest side, the city is home to many quiet coves and beaches protected by steep cliffs.

Rolling Hills
Contrary to Rancho Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills is the least populated and oldest city on the Peninsula. Incepted in 1936, the city is a private gated community of approximately 2,000 residents situated on 1,889 acres in the center of the Peninsula. Major characteristics of Rolling Hills are the one story ranch style homes and equestrian based lifestyles present throughout. In addition to being a private gated community with three gated and guarded entrances, there is no commerce or industry.

Rolling Hills Estates
Situated on the northern side of the Peninsula, Rolling Hills Estates is home to approximately 8,000 residents. Along with hilly terrain lined with homes, the city has more than 25 miles of scenic trails and six parks. For those who have shopping on their minds, Rolling Hills Estates is home to the mile-long Peninsula Center shopping area which includes open-air shopping plazas featuring a state-of-the-art movie theater, an ice rink, specialty restaurants, name brand retailers, and local merchants.

Chamber of Commerce
707 Silver Spur Rd. #100, Rolling Hills Estates 310-377-8111

City Offices
Rancho Palos Verdes - 30940 Hawthorne Blvd. 310-377-0360
Palos Verdes Estates - 340 Palos Verdes Dr. W. 310-378-0383
Rolling Hills Estates - 4045 Palos Verdes Dr. N. 310-377-1577
Rolling Hills - 2 Portuguese Bend Rd. 310-377-1521

School District
3801 Via la Selva, Palos Verdes Estates 310-378-9966

Post Offices
955 Deep Valley Dr., Rolling Hills Estates 310-541-0624
26947 Rolling Hills Rd., Rolling Hills Estates 310-541-3668
2615 Via Tejon Su. 102, Palos Verdes Estates 310-378-0416
29649 S. Western, Rancho Palos Verdes 310-547-1582

701 Silver Spur Rd., Rolling Hills Estates 310-377-9584
2400 Via Campesina, PVE X - 551
29089 Palos Verdes Dr. East, RPV X - 452

Law Enforcement Offices and Fire Stations
Emergency 911
Indian Peak Fire Station #106 -Rolling Hills Estates 310-377-9523
Miraleste Fire Station #83-Rancho Palos Verdes 310-831-4624
PV Drive South Fire Station #53-Rancho Palos Verdes 310-377-3333
Palos Verdes Estates Fire Department 310-373-6539
Los Angeles County Sheriff 310-539-1661

1785 W. 220th St., Torrance 800-777-0133
1511 N. Gaffey St., San Pedro 800-777-0133

Telephone Verizon-Residential service 800-483-1000
Telephone PAC Bell 800-310-2355
Gas So. California Gas Co. 800-427-2200
Electricity So. California Edison 800-655-4555
Water California Water Service 310-257-1400
Cable Cox Communication 310-377-1800
Waste: Universal Waste 800-631-7016
Waste Management 800-774-0222
Household Hazardous Waste Collection 888-CLEAN-LA